We hope you enjoy the following recipes...call in soon to buy the meat ingredient(s).
BEEF in GUINNESS PIE
Ingredients - Serves 4
• 750g braising beef cut into 3cm pieces
• 35g plain flour
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 50g butter
• 2 onions thinly sliced
• 1 carrot, finely diced
• 2 celery stalks, finely diced
• A small handful of fresh herbs (rosemary,thyme,bay leaf)
• 250ml Guinness
• 250ml beef stock
• 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
• 2 sheets pre-rolled puff pastry
• 1 egg lightly beaten
• Put the beef and flour in a bowl and season with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper. Stir well to coat the beef in the flour.
• Heat half the oil and half the butter in a heavy-based casserole dish over a high-heat. Add half the beef and cook until the beef is browned all over. Should take 4-5 minutes. Remove the beef and repeat with the remaining oil and butter.
• In the empty casserole dish, add the onion, celery and carrot - ensure that there is enough oil and butter remaining in the casserole dish, if not top up - and stir from time-to-time for 4-5 minutes until the onions, carrot and celery are soft.
• Return the beef to the casserole and add the herbs, Guinness, beef stock and Worcestershire sauce and bring to the boil. Then reduce to a low heat and simmer for one and a half hours or until the beef is tender, stirring occasionally to prevent the beef sticking. Check the seasoning about half way through and add salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce according to taste.
• Remove the lid and boil for 5mins or until the sauce has thickened.
• Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas4.
• Remove the bay leaves and any herb stalks. Divide the mixture into four ramekins/pie dishes.
• Cut rounds from the pastry, slightly larger than the dishes, and place on top of each pie. Press the edges to seal. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and bake on an oven tray for 20-30min until the pastry is puffed and golden.